Free Palestine is a feminist issue
July 23, 2014
The latest Israeli attack on occupied Palestine in the form of an ongoing military assault on the people living in the Gaza Strip has made an already unbearable situation much more devastating. Women, children, and elders represent the majority of the hundreds of people who have lost their lives. The assaults are a form of reproductive violence by creating conditions that increase miscarriages, pre-term labor, and stillbirths. Israel is currently targeting sewage systems, worsening an existing water crisis created by the Israel blockade of supplies to Gaza, and depriving hundreds of thousands of Gaza residents of clean water. Free Palestine is, and always has been, a feminist issue.
People around the world are mobilizing direct actions to denounce Israel’s brutal violence and ongoing occupation. Here’s a list of convergences. Below is INCITE!’s statement of endorsement of the movement for Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions against Israel, framing the occupation with a race & gender analysis.
INCITE! endorses the Palestinian call for BDS—Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions for Palestine because…
- Israel is a settler colonial state founded on the ethnic cleansing of 80% of the indigenous Palestinian people…
- And because Israel considers Palestinian women a “demographic threat,”…
- And because one in four women in Gaza, and 4 in 5 children there, are undernourished…
- And because the siege on Gaza was described as “catastrophic” and a “prelude to genocide” even before the latest murderous assault…
- And because Amnesty International, the International Committee of the Red Cross, and a UN-commissioned independent report have concluded that Israel’s offensive in Gaza amounted to “crimes against humanity”…
- And because the restrictions imposed by Israel have resulted in a 58% increase in miscarriages among Palestinian women in the West Bank in a single year…
- And because Israel celebrates the declining Palestinian birth rate as a success, while encouraging Jewish women to have more children…
- And because Israel promotes itself as a haven for gay people, while barring queer Palestinians from participating in Pride day celebrations…
- And because Palestinian children are arrested by Israeli soldiers with no right to due process, and are imprisoned without any charges against them…
- And because our tax dollars are used, against our will, to create a living hell for Palestinian women and their families…
- And because, since 2000, nearly 6500 Palestinians have been killed, including over 1400 children, and 40,000 have been injured…
- And because, since 2000, 20,000 Palestinian homes have been demolished to allow for Israeli “natural growth,”…
- And because Israel has resisted all official attempts to force it to comply with international law and end its violation of Palestinian human rights…
- And because Israeli control and domination of the geographic terrain and resources of Palestine deny Palestinian families the right to free mobility, clean water, food, and other basic living necessities…
- And because reports of torture and sexual violence of Palestinian men and women political prisoners and detainees violate international human rights law…
- And because Israel’s entrenched system of discrimination and segregation constitutes an apartheid system as harsh as South Africa’s old system…
- And because the global Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions movement played a major role in ending apartheid in South Africa, and is the model and inspiration of the Palestinian people today…
- And because Palestinian civilian society, not their corrupt “leaders,” is calling upon the international community to show its solidarity and support by engaging in a similar consistent and comprehensive movement…
We can support the Global BDS movement by engaging in boycotting Israeli products everyday.
Here is a short list of a few of the hundreds of examples of the media intentionally manipulating the public to support Israel’s recent offensive against Palestinians
July 24, 2014
- CNN journalist re-assigned from the region after tweeting that Israelis celebrating the death of civilians were scum.
- NBC journalist re-assigned after reporting too honestly on the situation on-the-ground.
- FOX News putting images of Gaza reduced to rubble with captions indicating (falsely) that it is damage done to Israel inflicted by Palestinian rockets. (image attached)
- The New York Times changing the headline about four children playing on the beach being killed by Israel to something that is intentionally vague/ambiguous.
- Diane Sawyer misidentifying photos of Palestinians in the conflict, claiming they are Israelis.
- MSNBC contributor Rula Jebreal calling out the network bias toward Israel and then having her TV appearances canceled as repercussion.
- Unfair coverage from the BBC which was protested widely across the UK.Please reblog or message with additions as you see/think of them and I will edit with the additions. I am sure we can create quite a large list of examples.
#tbt a couple of weeks ago i completed this illustration as a new companion for an old poem about restlessness — i’ve edited it slightly, posting it here as a reaction to recent tragedies. i’ve been travelling on and off since i was a kid, all thoughts about past (& present) fears/concerns on air travel have now attached themselves to a surreal sense of unease… all loving thoughts to those affected by MH370 / MH17 / GE222. #afraidofwords #art #illustration #tribute
Salome dances her dance of the seven veils,
The men all eye her like wolves on the hunt, this beautiful girl
finally undressing for them. Finally they can see her
exactly as they want to.
The first veil drops.
In 2007, Kim Kardashian’s ex-boyfriend
released their sex tape against her will.
Kim Kardashian, rather than hide in shame
Used the publicity to promote her own career.
Salome moves like a dream half-remembered.
Salome dances like a siren song. All the men ache
to see the hot sugar of her hip bones.
The second veil drops.
In 2014, Kim Kardashian walks down the aisle
As the whole world watches. If only all of us
were so successful in our revenge.
If only all of us stood in our Louboutin heels
on the backs of the men who betray us,
surveying the world we created for ourselves.
The third veil drops.
Kim Kardashian knows exactly what you think of her.
She presses the cloth tighter against her skin
Her smile is a promise she never intends to keep
We can almost see all of her.
Salome shows us her body
but never her eyes.
The fourth veil is dropping.
The four things most recently tweeted at Kim Kardashian were
@KimKardashian Suck My Dick
@Kim Kardashian Can I Meet Kanye?
@KimKardashian Please Fuck Me
@KimKardashian I Love You. I Love You.
Women are told to keep their legs shut.
Women are told to keep their mouths shut.
Some women are kept silent for so long,
They become experts in the silent theft of power.
The fifth veil has dropped.
Kim Kardashian made $12 million dollars this year
Yesterday, uncountable men in their miserable jobs,
told their miserable friends that Kim was a “dumb whore”
Kim Kardashian will never learn their names.
The sixth veil has dropped.
The seventh veil has dropped.
And Salome sat beside King Herod. And he swore unto her
“Whatsoever thou shalt ask of me, I will give to thee
unto the half of my kingdom”
And she smiled, and said
“Bring me the head of John The Baptist.
Punish the man who hurt me”
MH17. My partner’s good friend was in that flight, along with her family. My partner took it badly, I took Friday off to console her. this is the first time I knew someone personally from an international disaster. It suddenly feels very real. I only met her once, but I can still imagine her point of view when the missile struck.
So many killings. Israel is committing genocide and people don’t realize Netanhayu is reborn Hitler. Their MPs and citizens refer to Palestinians as dogs and wished for then to not just die, but to die in the most horrible way. (Look up tweets from Israeli youths on Palestinians).
I don’t know if I said it on Tumblr, but my mother almost disowned me over religion. I am not the perfect hijab-wearing, pious daughter she wanted and she told me that. She’s disappointed with me because, among others, I live with male housemates,’Western-influenced’ and thinks that Islamic practices should be stopped if it violates human rights.
I maintain what I say- religion doesn’t make you a good person, being a good person makes you a good person.
I don’t feel a connection with my family anymore, besides the obligatory ‘you are technically my blood so I guess I love you’ kind of way.
Maybe my sisters. Only my sisters. I love them a lot.
My partner and I almost hit 2 years and we’re planning a trip by ourselves. This is the longest relationship for the both of us and I gotta say, I was right- she is for keeps, for real.
Oh God, I love her.
We kind of joked about being married and she proposed to me once. I guess we’re technically engaged? I don’t know, I’m reluctant to call it that because its not like laws are swimming to protect us if we do go through with a marriage ceremony. We live together and do everything together, so except for the paper we are kinda married :)
However sometimes I fear that because of that lack of recognition, if something happens to either of us, we cannot sign each others’ medical papers.
I guess we need to have this conversation soon. Also in case one of us dies, what should the other do?
Morbid, but you know it’s true love if I want her on my deathbed more than anyone else.
I’m glad you asked about this, I probably should’ve posted some resources.
Yes, the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) Movement is one of the most important parts about activism around Palestine. Only until very recently, it was on the very fringe of mainstream discussion. But the Presbyterian Church just (narrowly) voted to join it, which was a huge victory, Suddenly BDS was making mainstream news. There was just another big victory in the UK, Sodastream was just forced to shut down their store there. It’s a model based on what took down South African apartheid. Eventually the boycott of South Africa just got so huge, and their economy took such a huge hit, that they had no choice but to change things.
Here’s a list of companies to boycott. And here’s an important talk with Ali Abunimah and Max Blumenthal about the history and effectiveness of BDS, and the future of Palestine.